Its been long, actually very long 9 years in USA.
The day has come to reflect on past and think about future.
In order to think about future, we must begin to understand the past. This past is 1998 the year the dream begin to take shape:
1998: While growing up in Australia, we used to see all these cool Hollywood movies that showed how great America is and how great it can be. Movies such as Sleepless in Seattle, Philadelphia, catchy sitcoms like Friends and Seinfield painted a rosy picture of Chicago and New York. Late night shows like David Letterman made America a dreamers paradise.
All this was seconded by family members already living in America and parents whose dream was to get the Kids to America because America is the Best. Moreover, people who visited America talked about America where wealth is created overnight and that was very evident by the .com fiasco where millionaires were being created in hours rather than decades. Dream of America was painted with 24K Gold, where I also thought "Hard work is rewarded by cold hard cash".
This dream became even more solid when my brother moved to America and sent rosy photos of open country and cars everywhere. The place was Charlotte, NC. The more photos I saw more convinced I became that America is the Best and there is no better place on this earth than America.
However, there was no vehicle to carry this dream and this vehicle had to be created at all cost, by whatever means in whichever way. By the end of 1998, I had a solid dream to Come to America. However, One question remained, why do I want to go to America? Even today after 9 years in America, I still have not been able to answer the question "Why did I come to America?".
Monday, December 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The monstor size portions of food maybe?
ReplyDeleteCheers
Aaron
Because you had dreams...that were difficult to achieve, but you wanted to give it a try anyway. Be proud of yourself as we are. You did what most people still keep dreaming of. I think you have realised a few of your dreams and who said you have to realise all of them. Success was never a measure of happiness and peace. A place is just a place....you make it home when you put your heart in it. America or Australia who cares as far as you have love and warmth in it. Just a few thoughts.
ReplyDelete